A Gentleman Collar

“Business casual is a popular dress code in professional and white-collar workplaces in Western countries. In the United States, 43% of non-self-employed workers commonly wear casual business attire. Casual street wear is the next most common work attire (28%), closely followed by uniforms (19%). Only a minority (9%) of workers wear formal business attire.” – Wikipedia

Who still wears business clothing, or at least wears it well? There are so many companies these days that it is hard to distinguish good and bad office attire, at least to the non-caring eye. Suits, shirts, ties and shoes for the most part make up the uniform that is business formal, something some guys know how to do it up right. What maybe for me as it is for other guys where the problem lays, in trying to coordinate, all the options that are available to us. It seems that when we want more options we end up creating more issues.

Take the above chart for example, showing you a sample of styles available when it comes to dress shirt collars. Did you think there is just regular and button down? Many men go out to shop only to find that the two options they thought they once had make up only a part of a large suiting industry. The confusion comes in finding out what one is the right one for you, or at least the right one to go with your suits.

I guess myself, someone who doesn’t wear dress shirts all that often, didn’t know that there would be that many options – or that much confusion! It’s not until I started looking around at the people I worked with to realize the change from traditional to modern –what a difference–.

Spread, definitely spread collar has to be one of my favourites – the more the spread the better. It somehow has this look that opens up what once seemed like a closed off neckline for men, and for me. You sometimes wore a tie that went unnoticed or at least the great job you did on the knot. With a spread collar you get to see more of both, cleaning up this already polished look to a different kind of [modern] standard.

What I find interesting though is the men who shop now for shirts, ones who have for years in a traditional pattern. They come into the store looking for anything from basic white to a beautiful stripe, making sure to tell you “none of this weird collar business”. What isn’t traditional isn’t always weird, it’s just a change – something you have to help your customer embrace. Something like the 60-something year old gentleman on staff that could put any 20/30-something smart dresser to shame –he can do any collar, anytime–.

How to you embrace change, really in any aspect of your life? With open arms of course, ready to graced by the sleeve’s of a beautiful cotton shirt, Tom Ford if it makes it an easier! I suggest to anyone that hasn’t tried a variety of collars to head out shopping today, not tomorrow, today!

Jake Wilton

Tags: , ,

Categories: Fashion

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “A Gentleman Collar”

1. April 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM #

I love formal business attire and often where a full 3 piece suit. My fave collar is a standard 3 inch with stitching. Looks very finished and showcases my ties

2. Fitzgerald's Hope
    October 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM #

wing tip or any kind of spread are my favourite collars…….

3. November 15, 2011 at 4:38 PM #

I always have been partial to the tab collar with a tight knot… Looks very ‘Italian’ and clean to me.

4. best roth ira
    February 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM #

I drop a leave a response when I appreciate a article on a site or if I have something to contribute to the discussion. It is caused by the passion displayed in the post I browsed. And on this post A Gentleman Collar | Jake's Thoughts. I was actually moved enough to drop a thought ;-) I do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind. Could it be simply me or do a few of the comments come across like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at other places, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you list all of all your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

5. J Cesar
    August 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM #

ive got a question regarding Tailoring and dress shirt collars. could anyone help? thanks

6. J Cesar
    August 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM #

well here it is. hope to get some pretty good answers. I just found that I prefer a certain style of collars on my dress shirts. (eyelet or tab collars) I have 3 dress shirts with a standard/classic collar, which I hate.

instead of buying new shirts, is there ANY WAY that I can take these to a tailor and have then modify the collars….by cutting the collar and making them into a shirt with an eyelet or tab collar type dress shirt? I know its bizarre and doubt any tailor would do this but im willing to pay.

7. ronald thomas
    March 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM #

how can i buy tab collar shirt